Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dessert

The boys requested Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies for their birthday dessert.  We were first introduced to the recipe in 2008 when the editor of the newspaper column "The Amish Cook" put out a call for readers to help test recipes for an upcoming book {The Amish Cook Baking Book}.

We tested the above recipe, it almost didn't make it into the book, at the last minute it was included.  The only time I had made it was for the testing.  It's a rather tedious recipe.  I simplified it a bit this time.  I bought a boxed brownie mix {$.49}; made the cookie dough part up, keeping it separate from the brownies. Instead of melting chocolate chips, I sprinkled a few mini choc chips over each serving.

I'll share with you just the recipe for the cookie dough,  as it's amazing.  If you get a sudden craving for cookie dough, this is pretty easy and it tastes exactly like the real deal!

1/2C butter, softened {use the real stuff!}
1/2C packed brown sugar
1/4C granulated sugar
2T milk
1t vanilla
1C all purpose flour

In a small bowl, cream {by hand} butter and sugars.  Stir in milk and vanilla.  Begin adding small amounts of flour, until the dough looks and feels like cookie dough, you may not need a full cup.  My notes: You may add about 1/3C mini chocolate chips.  Or leave it plain and sprinkle the choc. chips.

Glaze:
1C choc chips
1T shortening

My method: melt together in microwave until smooth.  Amish Cook method: melt in saucepan on stove top over low heat.


In the recipe, the cookie dough is spread on top of the brownies, then a chocolate glaze is spread over that. The dish is then placed in the frig to set up- Because I'm a food safety nut, I store these {or the cookie dough} in the frig.    
        

2 comments:

Simple Home said...

Happy Birthday to your boys! This sounds delicious :-)
Have a wonderful week. I hope it warms up there. Our weather has been great this week. It will be hot before we know it though.
Blessings,
Marcia

outdoor.mom said...

i'm gaining weight just reading it ;-) yummy!