Hubby took Friday off, what a blessing that was, as it was the "quiet" day of the weekend. That is if sewing a blouse, a dress and an apron; errands and yard work are considered quiet activities!
Saturday was full of church stuff- our church had a big celebration planned for Sunday- The boys were at the church at 9:30am for the set up, we girls joined in around 10am to decorate, with many hands doing the work we finished about noon, enjoyed a pizza lunch then went home- us girls anyway.... For the boys it was nursing home visitation week... They changed their clothes and went back to church... After the visitations, it was back to church for them so K could practice some songs for the celebration on Sunday {the nursing home group, was going to be our live music entertainment}.... The boys were doing church stuff from 9:30-5:30; they loved every minute of it too! I was glad that we had finished early, as my sewing projects had a deadline! I needed to finish before church on Sunday morning.... However, when they came rolling in we went out to buy a few fireworks - we ate a late supper, I went back to sewing, but by about 10pm I was seeing cross-eyed, at that point I had finished my dress, most of the apron and just buttonholes and buttons were needed on Miss N's blouse... I called it a night. The weather was just glorious on Saturday.
Sunday we woke to clouds, threatening to rain on the celebration.... Which they did, sort of. Each year for about the past 10 years of so; they've put on a giant BBq, inviting the neighbourhood, to come celebrate freedom... {They don't do VBS and I'm glad, as I'm not a VBS fan}... This year, the church was allowed to give flyers, advertising the event, out to the local {gov.} elementary schools, like 15,000 invitations went out on top of that another 5,000 or so invitations were left on doorsteps and with apartment building managers.... Back to the rain.... It took all sorts of back and forth car trips to get ourselves to the church {we live close enough to walk, we parked the car at home, to free up parking for guests} just as church began....so did a rain shower {remember Saturday was gorgeous}... Pastor actually was watching the rain as the service was happening and extended the sermon just a bit..... and the rain ceased, just in time for lunch to be served. {I haven't heard the numbers officially, I know that a few souls were saved during the call in the service} Hundreds of folks received a nice lunch of burgers, hot dogs, macaroni and potato salad, baked beans, chips and a dessert, at one point I looked to see the length of the lines, I couldn't see the ends!
There were bouncy houses, face painting, cotton candy, sno-cones etc.... The children that attend the church had been earning Baptist bucks since May, to spend on the activities, {fun} food and prizes; Miss E had earned 688- She was really cute, spending the frugally to make the last for the event....
After lunch, It would be time for Mr. K and his fellow musical friends to share some hymns with us...... Would you believe that as soon as they had all the guitars out of the cases, tuned and ready.... It began to rain! All the music guys retreated, many of the guests left also. It wasn't that bad of a shower, it was rather soaking though... And wouldn't you know, that as the designated end time of the event arrived.... So did Mr. Sunshine....





3 comments:
Hey Kimberly,
I wanted to pick your brain about VBS. I have mixed feelings on it, but can't really put my finger on what makes me uneasy about it. Not trying to stir up controversy on your blog; just looking for your opinion. :-)
No one likes for rain to "wash out" a special event. If it were to happen here, I don't think anyone would complain: it's been so horribly dry.
I'm assuming that the blue is N's blouse that you've been working on. It is so very lovely!!
Elizabeth-
Yes, that is the blouse for N that I was working on... She likes it a lot!
I will address my VBS concerns in an upcoming post- {I'll place a "if you disagree" warning with it;}
It looks like you all had a great time! :)
This weather has been crazy...I can't believe that it was in the 80's yesterday and today it has not even reached 60!
That is funny about crossing paths and not knowing it! It has been awhile since we have been down to Mukilteo beach...it sure has changed! Perhaps someday we will meet somewhere! :)
Blessings!
~Nadine
PS - I was brave and recently added a picture of me and my hubby to my sidebar...it took awhile to finally post one of myself! :)
Post a Comment